Friday, December 7, 2012

12/6/12 - Back on the road again to explore Phoenix.

 

Chose the most scenic route through Sedona. The drive through Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona is Mystical ~ Magical ~ Glorious!!!  I invited Gwenael from France to join me.  We met at the Flagstaff hostel a couple weeks ago. She was hoping to find a ride to Sedona and it delighted her to hear that I was heading that way.

Our Sedona visit was a world wind tour, basically a drive through with a few brief stops as we were scheduled to arrive at the Phoenix Hostel by 3:00.
 
Our first stop - filling up my gallon water jug with spring water
 that runs freely in Oak Creek Canyon.


Visited the Crystal Magic shop to show my Prayer Bundles to the Manager, who asked me to get back in touch in March when she does ordering again. Delighted to hear that she would like to carry my bundles.  Yay!  That makes 2 shops, the one in Flagstaff and the sister shop in Sedona. Thank you Gwenael for suggesting I show them my creations!

Chapel of the Holy Cross, a Catholic church built into the red rock

Take out sandwich from the funky Red Planet Diner
"In the black skies of a breezy March eve in 1995, a sleek craft of  no discernible shape hovered over Bell Rock.  A bright, almost blinding light emitted from the galactic vessel and situated upon an unassuming structure on Hwy. 89A.  In the blink of an eye, an exact replica of the craft was etched on the ground in front.  Then as quickly as it had appeared, the airborne object was gone.  To this day, the questions still remain.  What is certain is that whoever they were, they left their mark on Sedona.  As well as a fun, quirky atmosphere with great food and great times! A must see when visiting Sedona!"

A perfect picnic spot!
 
                  oh goody, I discovered some sage!




[More photos of Sedona are posted on my facebook page]


* * * * *

On the road again ~ elated to see saguaro (sa-wah-ro)cactus as we arrive in Phoenix. These cactus thoroughly intrigue me! I understand that it takes 80 years for them to grow an arm.



 * * * * * 

Arrived at the Phoenix Hostel ~ a great environment exuding kindred warmth. It's good to be here! Feels like Home Sweet Home. This hostel provides an exceptional atmosphere both inside and out. They also go to great lengths to organize special events.  Tonight's invitation was a traditional sweat lodge on reservation land.

Thank you Mary and Alex for offering this opportunity!   
Thank you Alex,Wenchell and Ella for preparing and leading the way!
Thank you Gwenael for taking pre-ceremony photos.

Preparing for sweat lodge...changing into long skirt
in the outhouse. Photos of the sweat ceremony were not allowed.                                                                        

                                                                  Sunset ~Fire ~ Sweat Lodge

Entered the ceremonial lodge by crawling in with humility
honoring this powerful sacred ritual.
It was in this sweat lodge where I embraced my white skin.
Releasing the years of yearning to be different than I am.
Surrendering the many bleed through memories of being red.
Sweating and singing prayers with grandmother and grandfather ancestors
All my relations.
Gratefully crawling out reborn anew.
                                                                   

2 comments:

  1. Joe and I always enjoyed Sedona so much; we went to the Chapel of the Holy Cross several times. Glad you are enjoying the adventure of life! Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue! Good to hear from you! Thanks for commenting. Happy Holidays to you! Say hi to your mom and dad for me and may your holiday be a blessed one!

      Delete