Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1, 2013 - Today was an AWESOME NEW YEAR's DAY! At the hostel where traveling folks like me are coming and going, I met Allison, who was taking some time off from her daily life in northern coast of CA to spend a little time on the Central coast of CA. This morning at the community breakfast table, we decided quite spontaneously to spend the day together. With 45 minutes to ready ourselves, we were out the door and on our way. 

1st stop:  Town of Cayucos for the annual Polar Bear Dip where an estimated 3500 participants and spectators gathered.  At the appointed time of 12 noon the courageous ones ready for the adrenaline rush took the plunge into the mighty cold Pacific waters.  Air temperature was mid 60's, water temperature mid 50's.  Alison was one of them.  She's a surfer and accustomed to taking such plunges, but usually with a wet suit. No wet suits for the Polar Bear Dip.  I, on the other hand, waded up to my knees - believe me even that took courage.  My legs ached and felt weak instantly from just that quick dip.  With the sun shining, I recovered just a few minutes later.


2nd stop: the delightful small town of Morro Bay - a picturesque seaside village estuary located along scenic hwy. 1 halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. A kelp bed near the rocks is a favorite place for sea otters to take a nap. They wrap themselves up in the kelp leaves to keep from floating away, the lie on their backs and snooze.


enjoying the sea otters coast along the placid waters
(none of my otter photos came out -- boohoo)

listening to the thunderous waves spraying over the rocks

3rd Stop:  Morro Bay State Park to check out the hiking trails - followed the Black Hill Trail - a climb to the top to enjoy a wonderful view of Morro Rock and Morro Bay.

Morro Rock - a 581 ft. volcanic plug located just offshore from Morro Bay
 at the entrance to Morro Bay Harbor.
(Sure is the biggest Mermaid Rock I've ever seen)

I deeply connected with the town of Morro!
(reminded me of the Connecticut coastline with the addition of
mountains and big waves.)

4th stop:  Heading back to San Luis Obispo, we treated ourselves to a New Year's Dinner at the Natural Cafe in town and shared a huge yummy burrito stuffed with brown rice and veggies, accompanied by guacamole and sour cream with a side salad.  Plenty enough for Alison and I.  

5th stop:  A coffee shop to warm the bones on a cool night and to help sustain Alison on her 3-1/4 hr. trek back home to Northern California. Walking down the street together with coffee cups in hand, I raised my cup to hers in a toast and voiced, 

....here's to us....
"Happy New Year Sister!"  

Just that moment, two guys passed by.
Upon hearing my words, they remarked
"awww... that was sweet, I love that."   

Twas a magical moment delivered from the heart
spontaneously offered, received and enjoyed.

It gives me great joy embodying the freedom 
to be in the moment
expressing my love for life.


Thank you again Allison for sharing with me a fabulous opening to 2013!
Together we created a juicy day of spontaneous  joy and fulfillment!
Here's to creating more and more.......

                                  

LOTS MORE PHOTOS

of the Polar Bear Dip and hiking on Morro Bay
are in my facebook album entitled
"New Year's Polar Bear Dip in Cayucos and hiking in Morro Bay"



No comments:

Post a Comment