Saturday, November 24, 2012

11/24/12 - This morning I'm on the road again. Driving long-distance conjurs up various thoughts:
* My hair is soft and silky in these southwest lands and I love that.
* I enjoy alternating between long periods of silence, then rolling down all the windows and playing a variety of tunes.  I love to crank up the volume to express my free spirit blowing in the wind.
* Extending my hands on the dashboard I thank my car 'Deer One' for carrying me so reliably these 4,000 miles thus far. 
* Alive with inspiration from the open plains and grasses, guardian rock people, mountain vistas, changing clouds and infinite sky.
*Exuding unconditional love, passion and dreams coming true.

A Renya Tale about Sacred Kinship
Minutes before reaching the Arizona border, I decided to stop and check out the strip of Navaho craft shops along the side of the road.  As I entered one of the shops displaying beautiful jewelry, rugs and horsehair pottery, I see a beautiful Navaho grandmother behind the cashier counter dozing off.  She intuits my presence and wakes up to greet me.  As I'm looking at the beautiful array of handcrafts, grandmother (she prefers that her name not be revealed) tells me that she didn't sleep well last night because a neighbor who lives close by was creating a loud domestic disturbance in the neighborhood. It wasn't the first time.  This is a big problem that happens a lot.  As is typically the case, the sheriff is called, a 3-day jail sentence is issued, the person returns home and the pattern continues to repeat.  Grandmother finds the only thing she can do is pray.  She wishes she could do more.

My heart reaches out to Grandmother in a prayerful way letting her know that I am praying with her for positive change, healing and reconciliation.  Like other times along this road trip, I cry for the cause and effect wayward struggles inflicted upon the American Indian from governmental invasions and conversions forced so long ago.  I am an Indian blooded woman even though my skin in this present body is white and my heart feels Grandmother's pain.

Placing one of my prayer seed bundles into Grandmother's loving hands, I assure her that she is not alone - "I will remember this moment and keep you and your community close to my heart joined in prayer."

After being granted permission to photograph Grandmother holding the small treasure I have created, she begins to cry telling me that her grandmother used to carry around small prayer bundles like this.  I too begin to cry as it becomes crystal clear that creating these small treasure seed bundles provide hope. These bundles were inspired by the one and only quote I connected with during all my years of childhood bible rearing. "Have the Faith of a Mustard Seed." As I distribute these seed bundles, I acknowledge my mama who has prayed every day of her life.  Her legacy of faith and love is strongly seeded in me for which I am eternally grateful.  Through conscious empowerment, I carry forth the simple gifts of sacred kinship and loving service.


Grandmother speaks: "I feel much better knowing that I am not alone."

 Renya speaks: Sacred kinship connections such as this is the soul purpose of my journey. 
As I listen to my heart it keeps expanding.
As I share my inner wisdom 
my journey unfolds.


* Arrived in Sedona, Arizona late this afternoon after a 7-1/2 hour drive from Santa Fe, New Mexico.  The land of red rocks is as magnificent as I imagined!



 Welcomed by friend Anne and partner Mynzah

Uniting our heartbeats with the power drums.  

A perfect greeting.... A perfect evening.  





No comments:

Post a Comment