Monday, December 10, 2012

12/10/12 -  Took Gwenael (hostel mate from France) to the bus station this morning.  We've been traveling together since when we met in Flagstaff hostel a couple weeks ago. Akiko left the hostel this morning and John leaves tomorrow.  Their presence is missed.  Tomorrow morning I move on as well.

Aussie hostel mate Vince and I went to the Heard Museum today.  What a fabulous place!  For more than 80 years, this museum has attracted visitors from around the globe who come to learn about the arts and cultures of the Native peoples of the Americas.

In addition to the general tour of the permanent exhibits, there was also a lecture about Geronimo and a fascinating Code Talker exhibit.  The story of the Code Talkers, the American Indian men who helped turn the tide of battle during World Wars I and II, focusing on the important role Native languages played in U.S. military efforts during the 20th century.

 2,000 yr. old handmade Pueblo cup
My heart sank in remembering these times of not so long ago.

and then my heart was uplifted again 
to see the artwork of young teenage American Indians
including this piece called "Storyteller"
- artist: age 16


Sculpture is one of my favorite mediums. I love holding clay in my hands, smelling it and forming it.  Through the years I've played a little with clay, lived with a very gifted sculptor, and modeled for sculptors  ---- always excited to visit sculpture exhibits. Was gravitated to the outdoor garden of Heard Museum where I discovered this beautiful exhibit ATTITUDES OF PRAYER by Retha Walden Gambaro.

 
First Prayer
"Acceptance" 
 
"Exultation"




No comments:

Post a Comment